September 10, 2015

The Veterans Administration (VA) can help out if you are a veteran who has mobility assistance requirements. If you were injured during a conflict or if you are a Baby Boomer who is having a difficult time moving around on your own, the VA provides analysis, doctor prescribed treatment and monetary support.  Power wheelchairs such as our XO-202 or 505 series could be a good start to do research on what is a medical necessity.  Use this directory to start as we have many of our products at their showrooms.   However it is best to speak to your direct VA representative if you are in a different state than California.  

VA Long Beach Healthcare System

Facility Picture

5901 E. 7th Street
Long Beach, CA 90822

Phone: 562-826-8000 Or 562-826-800

In order to get the mobility equipment you require, you have to begin with a visit to your VA center. Your primary healthcare provider would need to recommend you to a VA clinician who would do an analysis on you to figure out if and what kind of mobility equipment you qualify for.


Mobility Options must be Determined

Once a determination has been made, your clinician will go through your mobility equipment options. It might be determined that all you would need is a cane. On the other hand, a wheelchair and a vehicle lift might be required. From initial contact to getting the required mobility equipment can be a lengthy process which can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Once you have received your mobility equipment, you can get follow up care by going back to your VA.

What Choices Do You Have?

Most likely the VA will give you a wheelchair or power scooter. Additionally, you might be entitled to a VA grant that will cover adaptive equipment like a wheelchair lift or in some cases even a vehicle. Once you have received this kind of grant, you can take advantage of the driving rehab program which will help you get accustomed to entering, exiting and driving your vehicle. It is also possible to get grants for home modifications that include things like adding an access ramp, making interior doorways wider and installing grab bars at various locations throughout your home. Vets who meet the qualification can get as much as $60,000. Going through the process of getting the financial assistance needed for obtaining mobility equipment can be very confusing.  Your local mobility equipment store should have qualified staff that can help you through this complicated process.


VA Funding for Wheelchair Accessible Handicap Vans for Disabled Veterans

The VA has several programs to fund wheelchair accessible vehicles for disabled veterans, including veterans with ALS and MS. The experienced staff at the Creative Mobility Group can help navigate you thru the method of utilizing these VA benefits and selecting the wheelchair accessible vehicle and adaptive equipment that’s perfect for your mobility needs. If you’re a veteran in need of a wheelchair accessible van or already within the process of obtaining a vehicle, please contact the Creative Mobility Group to find out more about VA programs and therefore the products we provide for your independence. For your convenience, we will even arrange for a mobility consultant to satisfy you at your home for a free needs assessment and merchandise demonstration.

Service-Connected Programs

The Veterans Health Administration has determined that if a veteran incurred or aggravated illness or injury within the line of duty, within the active military, naval or air service, the veteran could also be eligible for service- connected programs. the 2 main programs offering assistance to service-connected veterans are the Auto Allowance Grant and therefore the Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program.

To be eligible to receive the Auto Allowance Grant or funds from the car Adaptive Equipment Program, the veteran must be within the Veterans Health Administration system. Veterans receiving care through a VA medical facility are already within the system and may apply for these vehicle mobility benefits. If not, they’re going to got to apply for health care through the VA. More information on service-connected programs is out there here.

Auto Allowance Grant

The Auto Allowance Grant awards $21,058.69 to eligible service- connected veterans for the acquisition of a wheelchair-accessible vehicle, not limited to a car, truck or van. To be eligible to receive financial assistance, a veteran or serviceperson must have acquired or aggravated an injury or disease during active military service, or as a results of medical treatment or examination, rehabilitation , or compensated work therapy provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs. This grant must be approved by the VA, can only be awarded once during a lifetime, and is paid on to the dealer upon purchase of a vehicle.

To find out more details about this process and every one of the standards a veteran must meet to be eligible for the Auto Allowance Grant, contact the Creative Mobility Group at 888-998-4264.

Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program

The Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program provides equipment and training to assist eligible, service-connected veterans safely enter, exit and/or operate a automobile . It includes, but isn’t limited to, special equipment necessary for wheelchair access and any modification of the dimensions of the inside space of the vehicle. The Adaptive Equipment Program could also be paid quite once, and should be paid to either the vendor or the veteran. The Veterans Health Administration will reimburse a veteran for automobile adaptive equipment a maximum of twice within a 4-year period.

To find out if you’re eligible to receive the car Adaptive Equipment Program and what equipment is roofed under this program, please contact an ingenious Mobility Group veteran advocate or call 888-994-4264.

Non-Service Connected Programs

Veterans who don’t have a service-related condition as determined by the Veteran Health Administration are classified as non-service- connected veterans. Veterans who served within the military for a minimum of 90 days and were honorably discharged can receive VA Health benefits, including funding for a secure means of transportation. Even non- service-connected veterans who served quite 20 years ago and didn’t sustain their injury while on active military duty may qualify for these vehicle mobility benefits.

The two main programs offering assistance to non-service-connected veterans are the Van Modification Ingress/Egress Program and therefore the Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) program. To be ready to receive the funds from either of those programs, the veteran must be within the Veterans Health Administration system. Those veterans currently receiving care through a VA medical facility are already within the system and may apply for these vehicle mobility benefits. If not, they’re going to got to apply for health care through the VA.

Van Modification Ingress/Egress

The Van Modification Ingress/Egress may be a program providing funding to veterans for vehicular access equipment allowing safe entry and exit into and out of a vehicle. Non-service-connected veterans with conditions like MS, ALS, quadriplegia, paraplegia or loss of use of both lower extremities are eligible to receive non-operational equipment to supply ingress and egress to the van. Non-operational equipment includes lifts, tie downs, a raised roof, raised doors and a passenger transfer seat.