No products in the cart.
The following guide will take a look at the various kinds of shower chairs on the market, their applications, limitations and benefits. Keep in mind that individual needs vary and customer buying decisions should be based on their own needs and preferences. Advice from medical experts should also be considered.
What is a Shower Chair?
Shower chairs are made to give safe support while showering, eliminating the need for standing up or for a bather. There is a diverse range of shower chairs that range from those used by people who suffer from unsteadiness or fatigue to mobile supportive chairs for those who have very limited mobility.
These keep the users comfortable and safe when they are bathing and make getting into and out of the shower much easier. Shower chairs are made from corrosion-proof and waterproof materials and the comfort and safety of the user should also be taken into account.
Some shower chairs can also be used as commode chairs. A hole is cut out in the middle of the chair so that it can either be placed over a toilet or have a commode pan attached. These commode chairs also make washing much easier for the user or a helper. Having a chair that has multiple functions will save you money as you don’t have to buy a new chair for each function.
Some people opt to have their shower chair permanently fixed in the shower. There is a selection of wall mounted shower seats on the market, some with hinges and drop down feet that can fold away when not in use. Note that these should only be used when attached to load-bearing walls that have enough strength to support it and the user.
Important Shower Chair Features
The purpose and type of chair will determine which features you should go with. The following are some general useful tips for a good shower chair.
- Stability features like non-slip legs or castor wheels that lock independently.
- The chair’s depth, width and height should be considered with the needs of the user. Get an adjustable one if needed.
- Quick water drainage to help with the drying of the user and with their comfort.
- Headrests, footrests and armrests all provide stability and support. Another useful security feature is a sturdy lap belt.
- Armrests that are detachable allow for easy side transfer. Footrests that swing away are also useful.
- Ergonomic designs and waterproof cushioning offer great comfort.
Please fill out the form below to receive information regarding your inquiry. You can give us a call at 1-800-80-KARMA, or please bear with us while we reply to your inquiry.