Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach
This page contains information regarding Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach Accessibility and other related information. You can click these links to visit specific sections on this resource page.
We provide information on wheelchair access in Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach, in the state of Florida, this includes Disability Services in Florida , Florida State Parks, Disabled Tourist Information, Disney World Disability Information, Universal Orlando and Seaworld Orlando, Equipment and Vehicle Rentals, The Florida Keys and Keywest Disability Information and other travel measures that help you with your trip to Florida, or if you are a resident of the area of Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach.
Karman Healthcare provides users with lightweight wheelchairs and medical equipment in Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach and other surrounding areas. We have many official store locations within New York that can provide you with mobility equipment and service.
If you need to find a Karman Healthcare dealer in Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach, then please visit our Dealer Locator page on our website, to localize a dealer that is close to you by proximity, depending on the area that you live, you can find a store that will help you find the right piece of equipment for your lifestyle and needs.
We also provide medical equipment through our online dealers, you can find out more by clicking the “Shop Online” now button located below this paragraph. If you need to find out more information about any of our products, including lightweight wheelchairs, please visit one of our many categories that include different types of medical equipment with various features and customization.
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach
Disability Service Provider Florida County Listings
- Northwest Florida: Bay, Calhoun, Escambia, Franklin, Gulf, Gadsden, Hamilton, Holmes, Jackson, Lafayette, Liberty, Leon, Jefferson, Madison, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Suwannee, Taylor, Walton, Wakulla, Washington
- North Central Florida: Alachua, Citrus, Dixie, Gilchrist, Levy, Marion
- Northeast Florida: Baker, Bradford, Columbia, Duval, Flagler, Nassau, Putnam, St. John’s, Union, Volusia
- East Coast: Brevard, Indian River, Martin, St. Lucie, Seminole
- Gulf Coast Florida: Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Sarasota
- Central Florida: Desoto, Hardee, Highlands, Lake, Polk, Orange, Osceola, Okeechobee, Sumter
- Southwest Florida: Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, Lee
- South Florida: Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Palm Beach
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna BeachFlorida State Parks
Florida’s State Parks is committed to offering accessible facilities, events and programs to all visitors. For standards and specifications regarding the use of wheelchairs, manually-powered mobility aids and other power-driven mobility devices (OPDMD) by people with mobility impairments within state parks, please click on the appropriate link below, or scroll down to the appropriate section. For additional access to trails and beaches, all-terrain wheelchairs, including beach wheelchairs are located in parks throughout the state. Wheelchair lifts are provided at the Boca Grande Lighthouse at Gasparilla Island State Park and Eden Gardens State Park. Sign language interpreters can be provided with advanced notice using the Accommodation Request Form. In addition, many parks with video programs offer an open-captioned version as well as transcribed copies of audio programs.
- Wheelchairs, Manually-Powered Mobility Aids and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices (OPDMD)
- Beach Wheelchairs
- Accessible Fishing Piers
- Accessible Trails
- Accessible Boat Tours
WHEELCHAIRS, MANUALLY-POWERED MOBILITY AIDS AND OTHER POWER-DRIVEN MOBILITY DEVICES (OPDMD)
Wheelchairs and Manually-Powered Mobility Aids are allowed anywhere foot traffic is allowed.
Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices (OPDMD) shall be permitted ONLY FOR USE BY PEOPLE WITH MOBILITY IMPAIRMENTS and shall typically comply with the following maximum specifications in order to be considered acceptable for use in Florida State Parks:
- Speed - The operating speed while in a Florida State Park shall be that of typical walking speed, based on the particular soil type and existing environmental conditions, not to exceed 5 miles per hour.
- Width - The width shall not typically exceed 34 inches. Certain pedestrian routes, trails and undeveloped areas may reduce the acceptable width as the width varies greatly for these areas due to natural features or cultural landscapes.
- Length - The length shall not typically exceed 62 inches. Certain pedestrian routes, trails and undeveloped areas may not support the length of certain devices due to natural features or cultural landscapes.
- Weight - The weight of the device shall not typically exceed 550 pounds. Certain pedestrian routes, trails and undeveloped areas may not support the weight of certain devices due to natural features or cultural landscapes.
- Type - The type shall not typically include any motorized off-highway vehicle designed to travel on non-highway tires and/or having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and/or handlebars for steering control, such as all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) and recreational off-highway vehicles (ROV). NOTE: Gas-powered vehicles, no matter the type, shall not typically be allowed in any facilities enclosed by walls and/or covered by roofs.
PLEASE CALL BEFORE YOU GO. It is highly recommended that you contact the Park in advance of your visit to ensure that your particular OPDMD is approved for use in the particular element(s) and at the particular time(s) you intend to use it.
Beach Wheelchairs are available with advanced notice at the following parks.
- Big Lagoon State Park
- Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park
- Henderson Beach State Park
- St. Andrews State Park
- St. George Island State Park
- St. Joseph Peninsula State Park
- Topsail Hill Preserve State Park
- Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park
- Anastasia State Park
- Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area at Flagler Beach
- Sebastian Inlet State Park
- Washington Oaks Gardens State Park
- Caladesi Island State Park
- Cayo Costa State Park
- Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park
- Fort Foster State Park
- Gasparilla Island State Park
- Hillsborough River State Park
- Honeymoon Island State Park
- Lovers Key State Park
- Skyway Fishing Pier State Park
- Bahia Honda State Park
- Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park
- John D. MacArthur Beach State Park
- John U. Lloyd Beach State Park
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
- Ft. Pierce Inlet State Park
- Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park
- Oleta River State Park
- St. Lucie Inlet Preserve
- Long Key State Park
- Curry Hammock State Park
ACCESSIBLE FISHING PIERS
East Central Florida
- Collier-Seminole State Park
- Myakka River State Park
- The Skyway Fishing Pier State Park
- Lake Manatee State Park
- Big Lagoon State Park
- Blackwater Heritage Trail State Park
- Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad Trail State Park
Disabled Tourist Information
Society for Accessible Travel & Hospitality, or SATH, provides recommendations for travel agents and other resources to help travelers with disabilities plan their vacations. 561-451-0052, www.sath.org
Able Trust offers helpful links to disability resources throughout the state from Florida’s Governor’s Alliance for the Employment of Citizens with Disabilities. 850-224-4493, www.abletrust.org
Florida Disabled Outdoors Association provides resources on disabled outdoor travel in Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach.www.fdoa.org
American Diabetes Association offers information on traveling with diabetes, as well as a list of hospitals that offer services to diabetic travelers. 800-342-2383, www.diabetes.org
Dialysis Finder’s web site lists center locations and maps by zip code. 866-889-6019, www.dialysisfinder.com
Care Medical Equipment, Orlando: Wheelchair and scooter rental, oxygen, other medical equipment. 800-741-2282, 407-856-2273, www.caremedicalequipment.com
Scootaround Inc.: Available in 120 Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach cities. 888-441-7575, www.scootaround.com
Browse our visitor information listings for destinations that offer beach wheelchairs and other services or information for the physically challenged. Unlike regular wheelchairs, these “beach wheels” have special tires that don’t get stuck in sand. Beach chairs are often provided at no charge and are available to anyone unable to walk or those who possess a handicapped automobile tag.
Most major car rental companies including Hertz and Dollar Rent A Car, can, with advance notice, provide hand-control cars.
Accessible Vans of America:
- Miami location (Sunset Mobility), 800-240-9246, www.sunsetmobility.com
- Southwest Florida locations: Fort Myers 239-936-6333,.www.oceanconversions.com
- Available in Orlando, Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Daytona Beach and Melbourne, 800-242-4990
- Fort Lauderdale, Miami, West Palm Beach, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Fort Myers and Naples, 800-637-7577; www.wheelchairgetaways.com
Section 316.1958 Florida Statutes provides that motor vehicles displaying a license plate or parking permit issued to a disabled person by any other state or district subject to laws of the United States shall be recognized as a valid plate or permit. Information is at www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/disabled_pkg.html
International travelers who have parking permits in their own country can purchase a temporary permit from any local tax office for $15. Information at floridataxcollectors.com.
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach
Disney gets especially high marks from visitors with disabilities. In true Disney fashion, they pay close attention to details that will make people with special needs especially comfortable.
Here are facts, guidelines, and a few tips for the disabled guest:
- Special parking is available for guests at all four theme parks and all Disney World Resort hotels. Ask for directions at the entrances.
- Valet parking is available at Downtown Disney and is free to guests with disabilities.
- WDW Monorail stations are accessible to wheelchairs.
- Access to the Magic Kingdom is available by either ferry or monorail.
- Wheelchairs are available at all theme parks. The cost is $12.00 per day ($10.00 per day for length-of-stay rentals).
- Electric Convenience Vehicles are also available for rent. The cost is $50.00, plus a $20.00 refundable deposit, per park, per day.
- Consult Disney’s Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for details about wheelchair access to attractions, or check with the ride host or hostess. Most attractions are accessible to guests who can be lifted from chairs with assistance from a member of their party. Many can accommodate guests who must remain in their wheelchairs.
- Disney allows guide animals to ride on some attractions.
- Designated “animal break areas” are located throughout the parks, and each park has personnel available to assist you with your animal.
- All WDW hotels have accommodations for guests with disabilities, including roll-in showers and “zero-entry” pools with special wheelchairs available. Be sure to ask for Special Reservations Department.
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach Visual Disabilities
A tape recorder with a cassette that describes each park is available for a $25.00 refundable deposit. Also, a Braille guidebook is available for a $25.00 refundable deposit.
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach Hearing Disabilities
- Pay phones with text typewriters (TTYs) are available throughout WDW.
- Sign language is available for some shows. Arrangements must be made two weeks in advance.
- Listening devices that amplify attraction sound tracks are available at City Hall in the Magic Kingdom, and at Guest Relations in the other theme parks. A refundable deposit of $100 is required. Park guide maps will indicate the participating attractions.
- Written scripts are available at many attractions and shows. Ask a Disney employee for assistance.
- Reflective and video captioning devices are available at some attractions. Consult park guide maps for indication of participating attractions.
SeaWorld Orlando offers a special seating in every theater and several stadiums have special entrances. Guests with guide dogs should use the same procedures as wheelchair guests. Water is available for companion dogs at any restaurant location.
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach There are assisted restrooms and telephones equipped with amplified hand sets. Wheelchairs can be rented for a nominal fee and a limited number of electric wheelchairs are available for rent on a first come, first served basis.
| SeaWorld Orlando Park Accessibility Guide |
Universal Studios Orlando
Universal Studios Orlando provides a special Disabled Guest Parking Pass to be displayed on your dashboard for parking in the special disabled guest parking area. Regular wheelchairs and electric convenience vehicles are available in limited quantities on a first-come, first-served basis.
Guests with hearing impairments can obtain TDDs at the Guest Services Office or Health Services. You will need to call (407-224-4233) in advance to make arrangements for an interpreter. | Detailed ADA Information for Universal Orlando |
You may pick up a copy of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities at the wheelchair rental locations in each theme park. To get a copy in advance, visit WDW’s website atwww.disneyworld.com or write to: Walt Disney World Guest Communications, Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830.
Those with disabilities may find themselves in a position to need equipment rental or repair while on vacation. Although this list is not exhaustive, it does give information on some of the larger and more travelled areas of Florida.
- Accessible Vans of America - Orlando & More Rentals of accessible vans covering Fort Myers, Pompano Beach and Miami. (Toll Free: 1-800-862-7475)
- Action Disability Resources - Jacksonville Wheelchair accessible rental mini-vans by the day, week, or month. (Toll Free: 1-888-316-2648)
- Amigo Mobility Center - Sarasota Rentals, repairs, parts and sales. (Toll Free: 1-800-783-2644)
- CARE Medical Equipment - Orlando Rentals, repairs, parts and sales of manual and motorized wheelchairs and lifts. Also, providers of medical equipment including oxygen. (Toll Free: 1-800-741-2282)
- Randle Medical Sales and Rentals - Miami Full line of medical equipment rentals and sales. (Toll Free: 1-800-753-1222)
- Randy’s Mobility - Orlando Rental of manual and motorized wheelchairs from $70.00 a week and up. (Phone: 863-679-1550)
- Walker Medical and Mobility - Orlando Full service medical equipment rentals. (Toll Free: 1-888-SCOOTER)
- Wheelchair Vans of America - Clermont Rentals of accessible vans covering Central Florida. (Toll Free: 1-800-910-VANS
Information provided by Dawm Henthorn
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach
A Florida Keys vacation means a great getaway to one of the most unique places on earth. Most lodgings, attractions and recreational activities are specially equipped to enhance the participation and enjoyment of everyone, yet in some cases visitors with mobility disabilities may need the assistance of a member of their party to fully utilize these areas.
Florida state statutes require all licensed lodging facilities to provide at least 5% of the guest rooms with certain handicapped accessible criteria. Features vary depending on your selected hotel/resort.For a complete list of Florida Keys accommodations, visit www.fla-keys.com/propsearch/accomloc.cfm and select an area you would like to search.
Visitors are encouraged to discuss their accessibility needs when they contact the individual establishments direct.
Attractions & Areas Of Interest
What is your idea of fun? Florida Keys attractions have accessibility for all our visitors to pursue their passion and enjoy some of the most notable features of the Keys: the beautiful water, world-class fishing and its natural wildlife and delicate marine ecosystems.
Each of our attractions is designed to offer fun for everyone, with resourceful staff to further assist visitors with mobility disabilities; many are designed with wheelchair-wide entrances or front gates for ease of entry.
Key Largo features a three-pool complex at Jacobs Aquatic Center, with a 24′x44′ ramp-accessible multipurpose MYRTHA pool (3-4′ deep) equipped with a lift and utilized for swim classes, water aerobics, aqua therapy programs, and recreation. Key West’s main campus of Florida Keys Community College (FKCC) has a lift-equipped Jr. Olympic-sized pool frequented by student swim team members as well as for use as a scuba diving and recreational swimming complex.
All Florida Keys fishing boats can accommodate a variety of fishing — such as back country, night or deep sea — some vessels, such as Key Largo’s Tranquil Adventures, are specifically equipped for wheelchairs, have accessible bathrooms, and offer a lift to lower disabled passengers into shallow water for snorkeling and swimming.
Islamorada features an exhibit at the Florida Keys History of Diving Museumcalled “Diving A Dream.” Matt Johnston, of Woodbury, Minn., made diving history in November 2006 when he became the first paralyzed scuba diver who breathes through a ventilator to complete two successful ocean dives in the Florida Keys. To read more about Matt’s unparalleled story, click here.
Or, you may wish to experience a swim encounter or interact with dolphins; such fully-accessible and inherent special needs programs are made possible by non-profit centers such as Key Largo’s Island Dolphin Care Center and Marathon’s Dolphin Research Center.
State and marine parks throughout the Keys offer wheelchair-accessible trails for bird watching, and glass-bottom, snorkel and dive boats, and beach wheelchairs for guests, including Curry Hammock State Park, Bahia Honda State Park and John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. When possible, visitors should either contact an individual park for availability or make a request online at http://www.floridastateparks.org/ADA/RequestAccomodation.cfmprior to your visit, simply to ensure that accommodations and/or equipment will be readily available upon arrival.
Dining All our Florida Keys restaurants are ready to welcome you in our friendly and laid back dining venues. A variety of fresh delicacies are available in the Keys, from local seafood to ethnic dishes and meat-based specialties.
For a complete listing of each region’s restaurants, visit:
Public, theatrical venues throughout the Keys are ADA-accessible, featuring wheelchair-accessible seating, as well as convenient parking and ramps for people with disabilities.
As special arts and cultural events with arrangements and availability are made for attendees with disabilities, we will be posting them here. Click here for a complete listing of Arts & Cultural activities.
Ground transportation in the form of shuttle buses is available from the Key West airport to area hotels. If an area accommodation does not provide its own shuttle, on your behalf they can contact a local taxi company that does provide accessible transportation either between the hotel and airport or your island destination.
Key West’s Five Sixes Taxi provides a Para Transit taxi which can accommodate both manual or electric wheelchairs. Four passengers with two wheelchairs, or five passengers with one wheelchair can ride comfortably. They provide local transportation as well as any destination in the Florida Keys.
We encourage you to confirm such transportation with your individual lodging property.
For getting around the island(s), local public and tour transportation with wheelchair access is available, such as the Conch Tour Train and Key West Trolley Tours. The City of Key West also provides accessible public bus service. Click here for a schedule and more information.
Many visitors not only arrive in the Keys on sailing and motorized vessels, but like to visit our many waterfront marinas. Although there are not formal ADA guidelines for marinas, the City of Marathon has recently equipped the Boot Key Harbor City Marina with floating docks and additions for equal access to all marina services, including dinghy docks, boardwalks and parking facilities.
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach Equipment Rentals
Scooters, manual wheelchairs, walkers, canes, hospital beds, portable oxygen
Although individual attractions or retail businesses do not have wheelchairs readily available for public use, these can be rented on a daily or weekly basis from only a limited number of locations in the Keys. For rental fees, deposit information, contact either of these establishments:
- Coral Medical (Sweetwater Medical), Mile Marker 87.8, Islamorada, 305-852-4393
- Four Star Rentals, 5216 US1, Stock Island (Key West), 305-294-7171
- Medical Care Services, Mile Marker 91.8, Tavernier, 305-501-2306
It is recommended to travel with your own or rent and bring a collapsible wheelchair, to ensure availability during your stay as well as for easy trunk stowage while driving around the islands.
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach Destination Information
P.O. Box 866 Key West, FL 33041 800-FLA-KEYS (352-5397) http://www.fla-keys.com
Able Trust offers helpful links to disability resources throughout the state of Florida. Contact direct at 888-838-2253
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach Disabled Outdoors Association is dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with disabilities and enhancing the opportunities for outdoor recreation. Contact for more information 850-201-2944
http://www.fdoa.org/home/contact-us Society for Accessible Travel and Hospitality (SATH) provides recommendations and resources for travel agents and to help travelers with disabilities plan their vacations. Contact direct 800-513-1126 http://www.sath.org
Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach Dealer Locator
To find a stocking provider in your area, please CONTACT US at 1-800-80-KARMA (1-800-805-2762) where one of our friendly customer service associates will select from over 6,000 dealers and provide you with the dealer closest to you with inventory which best matches the product you are most interested in. Please make sure that you mention the exact model(s) you are seeking and we will do our best to locate and/or recommend to you. Karman Healthcare takes great pride in our service and partnering dealers fully stocking our product line.
Shop Online from Wheelchairs in New Smyrna Beach
Would you rather shop online? We have a wide range of online dealers that are ready to help you find the perfect product for your every needs. Some internet sites offer FREE 2 day shipping*, experienced personalized service, and/or first class policies to cater to your needs. Others even offer financing with zero percent interest*! Karman is proud to have our Authorized Dealers listed in our service network enhancing the shopping experience in seeking the perfect mobility product. If you require assistance to locate the best dealer for your specific requirements, please do not hesitate to contact us first. Thank you! *rules and restrictions may apply